Summer is always the best time to camp.
For a successful camp, you need to purchase the perfect tent and choosing the right tent can be tricky. You need to choose the right size, the right shape and the right floor area. For instance, if you are backpacking with your entire family, it is not advised to get three 2 man tents as this could cost more than the bigger family tents.
Do not fret. I have listed here a couple of tips to help you choose the right tent.
1. Choose your tent size. You need to choose the size that is enough for you, your family or friends and your camping gears. If you plan to travel alone, it is advised that you get a 2 man tent as single man tents cannot accommodate your personal gears and effects.
2. Choose the right shape for you. Tents come in different sizes. There’s the A-frame, umbrella, geodesic or “dome” and wall tents. A-frame types can be quite large while umbrella tents are commonly used for family camps because it has a lot of standing rooms and even windows. Dome types have varied shapes but a looks like a combination of connected triangles. The wall tent is almost like an A-tent but it is larger and has vertical side walls. Most 2 man tents come in A-frames although some 2 man tents are also available in dome shapes.
3. Two-storied tents. They can be pretty dangerous if set up wrong. Also, if you’re traveling with only a friend, then you might as well get a 2 man tent as two-storied tents require more people to set up and a tree to hold it up.
4. Choose between fiberglass or aluminum poles. Most have poles that are connected via elastic shock cords which make them easy to set up. However, if you want to travel light, opt for aluminum poles as they are lighter.
5. Find a good fabric. Like most 2 person tents, nylon is most commonly used. Check out different fabrics: choose those that are thicker and rip-stop.
6. Consider potential weather conditions. Windy areas need sturdy tents while rain requires waterproof ones. The sun, on the other hand, requires shade and airflow and cold weather needs heat trapped inside. There are three season tents available in the market which allows you to use the tent year round. These three season tents are also available in 2 man tents model.